The sleek bulb looks great in all environments

Approximately 30% of the energy used in commercial and industrial buildings is used inefficiently or unnecessarily. Fear not, there are a few simple ways; you can avoid paying more by doing that little bit more. Starting with the lighting you use.

'An average of 10% of the energy used by a bulb creates light; the other 90% creates heat.'

Compact fluorescent lamp (CFL) bulbs are the traditional energy-saving bulbs that can normally be found in houses. They last around ten times longer than the old-fashioned incandescent bulbs. The cost of a CFL is now typically around £2, and will save you at least £2.50 per year in electricity. Replacing all bulbs with CFL equivalents will knock at least 10% off your energy bill each year. Given the long lifespan of a CFL you'll save that 10% for many years without having to buy new bulbs, typical lifespan being around five years.

'Plumen?s bulbs use 80% less energy than the traditional incandescent light bulb.'

Additionally there are Plumen bulbs, the world?s first designer energy saving light bulbs. They use 80% less energy than the traditional incandescent light bulb, which means they will decrease your electricity bills and are better for the environment. They last around eight times longer than other bulbs and have a dynamic, sculptured form in an attempt to make the Plumen a stylish centerpiece, rather than afterthought.

The newest addition to the lighting family are LED?s. Initial costs are higher, on average £15 per light but last over 30 years (based on using a few hours a day). The development of LED bulbs has advanced in leaps and bounds, using 10% less energy than CFL and 80% less energy than incandescent bulb. With this is mind, the savings could be huge along with environmental benefits; LED?s are fully recyclable.

So why not bring you?re costs down for now and the future, by switching to more modern advanced energy efficient lighting that are easier on the eye and will last for many more years to come.

Resources:

Do Something

Channel 4

Efficient Light